Thursday, April 9, 2009

Truth

Since this post can be about whatever thoughts we have about religion I choose to write about truth. When I listen to people talk about their religion, my biggest question is how can you tell other people that their beliefs are wrong and yours are right. At least most of the Christians that I have spoken to say that you have to believe in Jesus to get into heaven ... so most of the world is going to hell? I can't agree with that. People from many different religions all think that their religion is the truth, but is any religion true? This is why I like Geertz's definition that says "an aura of factuality", because no religion is actually fact. No one religion can be proven completely true.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with that and was actually planning on bringing up this point in a blog sometime soon. I have always had a problem with the Christian belief that the only way to heaven is to accept Jesus into your heart. That leaves out billions of dedicated individuals who believe in a higher power and live their life accordingly. Are we suppose to simply accept that God will forsake every other religious or spiritual person in the world because they do not believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for their sins?

    ReplyDelete