Saturday, May 30, 2009

Religion or Culture?

Our discussion on Friday about religions, cults, etc. makes me wonder about religion and culture. I know religion is part of culture but sometimes the way we talk about religion in societies make me wonder where culture fits. In Geertz's definition religion influences moods and motivations but I anthropology I learn about culture creating "powerful, pervasive, and long lasting moods and motivations". I suppose one could argue that the symbols that make up religion deal with "a general order of existence" where culture doesn't have to deal with that like consumerism. It's part of our culture but is not a religion, however it and religions have similar characteristics. Maybe I should be looking at culture as the umbrella and religion as one of the things under it, but their similarities confuse me I suppose. I don't think we can say the religion or culture came first, because I think there is evidence of both. In a previous class we talked about how churchs' positions on sex and marriage where probably adopted because of health and legitimacy issues. This ideas of health and whose child is whose and who gets what most likely existed in the society before the church just used it to connect with the people. One can assume similar ideas were behind the food laws of many different religions. I do think that establishing orders of existence came first with religion. Now it can considered cultural I think because we have orders of existence ideas that don't depend on religions, but that has only come with relatively recent scientific advancements. Religion has also shaped culture because some of it's values will be placed into society and effect things non-religious in nature. An example of this would be the effect of the Puritan values on our economic system. In many ways religion has infused itself into culture or culture borrows some previously religious symbol but meaning will change. One eaxmple we talked about in class was when the Jamaican tourism video used Bob Marley's song as a symbol of Jamaica not Rastafari.

1 comment:

  1. Geertz is actually the best I have found on this topic of religion and culture..

    ReplyDelete